Monday, August 11, 2003

Pain-free news feed redirection

I realized today that a heap of aggregators and blogerators, not to mention my favorite desktop news reader, are still pointed to my defunct RSS/XML syndication file. For example, Syndic8 smartly notes that my feed is "Awaiting Repair." I was thinking, aiyaa! I'm going to have to go into the shell of my host at Pair and set up a redirect for the path to the old Blogger-generated XML file. But then I thought many others must have had to deal with moving an RSS feed, and sure enough, a search on Google turned up Dave Winer's Bootstrap: How to redirect an RSS feed. A couple minutes of coding and an upload to the old curiousLee site enabled the redirect. Now I'm seeing the new curiousLee news feed in NetNewsWire.

Damn, these people are smart.

Update: Well this solution is apparently not pain-free because discussion of this issue (among other things) precipitated a battle over the RSS core standard. Looks like I will have to revisit server-side configuration hacking to effect HTTP error code 301 or 302. Oy.

12:34 PM in Web/Tech, Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Sunday, August 10, 2003

The many facets of Tanya

Tanya's second fan here to trumpet her implementation of faceted classification in MovableType for her blog. Somewhere, Ranganathan is smiling.

I look forward to the possibility that facets will come to TypePad.

11:29 PM in Information Architecture, Web/Tech, Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Saturday, August 09, 2003

curiousLee Mobile Edition

May pointed out that the default templates in TypePad squeeze the columns of text into a stack of single words on the 240-pixel-wide screen of our T-Mobile Sidekicks. This is a common problem on CSS-based sites and is really a problem in how Danger's mobile web browser parses its HTML. Hopefully they will fix this in a future update.

Ahh, this is the way maintaining a site should be: I went into the Weblog Design section of TypePad and converted the default templates into an advanced set, which exposes all of the constituent pages and support files of the site. I then duplicated the index.html file (the main page of the blog), and saved it as mobile.html. Then I opened the code for that page and hacked out all the CSS IDs and class tag attributes. When I loaded the new page, I got a plain vanilla layout that loads fine and is quite readble on the Sidekick. Coding time: 10 minutes.

The ease of converting the home page demonstrates the power of CSS-based page construction over HTML tables, the benefit of content that is separate from presentation and the well-designed TypePad content management controls. Template adjustments like this are not easy or impossible in the convoluted administrative interfaces of million-dollar content management systems I've used.

I'll probably end up duplicating and converting the other page templates this way to create a complete mobile device-friendly site. The advanced templates are where I'll also begin to create extra pages for curiouslee such as a gateway page to multiple collections of photo albums. In the current template, all photo albums are stuffed into the right navigation, and that won't work when I have more than a handfull of albums. I also want to create a links portal page.

So for May and all my Sidekick buddies:

http://curiouslee.typepad.com/weblog/mobile.html

04:53 PM in Moblogging, Web/Tech, Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Friday, August 08, 2003

The default's at fault

Despite Victor's kind comment about the default template I chose to start off this TypePad blog, I am getting sick of it already. I'm saving a screenshot (67k JPEG) of it so I can remember to avoid this color scheme in the future.

I haven't done any extensive coding in raw HTML in over a year, so I'm cracking open my new copies of Jeffrey Zeldman's Designing with Web Standards and Eric Meyer's Eric Meyer on CSS as I work towards a new site design. Both are excellent references.

And I did discover that the HTML formatting buttons on the Compose a New Post screen don't appear in the latest Safari or IE 5.2 on Mac OS X, but are OK on Netscape 7.1. Kind of a big boo boo in my opinion. Good thing friend Tim has filed a trouble ticket.

10:00 PM in Books, Web/Tech, Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack